One Room Challenge: Office/ Craft Room- week 2, The bookshelves



Welcome to week 2 of my One Room Challenge as I transform our computer/ craft room. This past week I tackled our bookshelves. If you remember from the first week here, I planned to re-paint them a creamy white (Dove White by Valspar), and then line the back with a fun fabric or paper or whatever I found that caught my attention. Here is the inspiration pictures I shared before (from my Pinterest page).


Did you know you don't always have to use fabric from a bolt of fabric in a fabric store? Yep it's true! Think outside of the fabric store and you might get a really good deal, nothing is off limits... rugs, curtains, shower curtains, table cloths, and anything else you can think of that is made of fabric. It's function doesn't have to stay the way it was when you bought it! I browsed our local Target who had just about every shower curtain on clearance. I picked out this curtain for less than $14. If you do the math, that's more than 1 yard for less than $7 each! It was the perfect color and I'm not quite over the trellis or ikat craze (which this curtain has both).


Once my bookshelves were painted, I ironed the curtain to get all of the packaging folds out. 


From here, there are a couple of different ways you can do this. You can either wrap the fabric around the backing of your bookshelf (if you have one), or you can just tac it on to the main piece like I did. I laid the  unit face down and laid the curtain on top. I used hot glue on the top end first to help hold it in place, and then the bottom, and lastly the sides, making sure I pulled tightly so I didn't end up with wrinkles or loose fabric. 

** HINT: If your backing goes on with screws like mine, make sure you don't put any hot glue on the holes, otherwise you may find it harder to screw the screws back in.
Also if you are using a patterned fabric, make sure you center the pattern before you begin adhering it to your piece, unless you don't care if it may look a bit crooked or uneven. 


Once all sides are glued on, trim your fabric so it lines up with the edge of the bookshelves ( I had a picture but my computer decided it didn't like it and kicked it to the curb). Lastly, screw your screws back in, stand it up, and admire the fresh new look you just gave it for under $15!

(those are a couple of my super cute nephews in case you're wondering)

I'll share the full reveal on week 6... stay tuned!

Go here to see how others are doing with their challenge!

-Meg

Comments

Love it! That fabric looks great and makes the bookshelf pop!

XO,

Krista
www.goodwillglam.com
Unknown said…
Wow, the fabric is fantastic! Well done:)
Unknown said…
Genius! Love it!
Unknown said…
Love this idea for a bookshelf. Planned on doing something similar for my living room built-ins but with wallpaper. This fabric is so fabulous though. Job well done!
That is genius!! I'm going to have to steal this idea! :)
Wendy said…
The fabric backing looks great... love the pattern!
Oh my gosh, I have this shower curtain, and I love it, but I love it even more on the back of a bookcase! What a great idea!
Anonymous said…
I love that. Everything about it... the fact that you used a shower curtain is awesome. I have seen more and more bookshelves with pattern on the backing and I just LOVE the look. Excited to see the whole thing in the end.
What a great idea to repurpose a shower curtain into such a pretty backing for the bookcase. Great job!
Anonymous said…
SUCH a great find and AWESOME idea! I love it :) Looking forward to seeing more of the transformation in this space!
Karena said…
Meg, Hi it's Karena and I am wandering around the ORC sites and am in awe of this distinctive and creative way you've brightened your bookshelves! Love it!

xoxo
Karena
The Arts by Karena
Artist Nathaniel Galko

Popular Posts