office/ craft room plan


Have you heard of the One Room Challenge Linda over at Calling it Home Blog created? You can hop on over to read more about it but you basically pick a room (one of yours or a client's), and you have 6 weeks to bring it from start to finish. Every Thursday there will be a post by each blogger participating in the challenge about what they have accomplished in the room and any plans they have for the room.


I figured this is the perfect chance to get at least one of the rooms on my to do list finished, or at least looking less like it does now and more like what I want it to look like in my head. I debated between our office/ craft room and the guest/dressing/play/tv room we have (it has many uses), but decided to go with the office/craft room since I have a better idea of what I want it to look like and it's one of the first rooms guests see when they walk in.

Here are the before pictures, don't worry I didn't sugar coat it so you see the full effect of just how disorganized it is at the moment. I think this is the worst it's ever looked but in my defense, it was the end of spring break in our home and I was already beginning to re-paint our bookcases when I took these. Total chaos I tell you!







The bigger mess, the bigger the end reveal right? That's what I'm telling myself as I'm showing you these! Here are some of my all time favorite rooms I thought of immediately as I came up with the idea board for the room (all images can be found on my pinterest page with links).

office organization...

To-die-for big, generous project table, backed with built-ins. Handsome creative space.

shelf styling

GEORGICA POND: Designer Admirer - Marika Meyer

Patina Style

Below is the game plan. Unfortunately I'm not repainting. We are renting and all of the walls were repainted just before we moved in by the owner. While I would never have picked this color out myself, it is a huge difference from the house we came from which had swine and ocean blue colored walls! Anyway back to the plan... The desk is staying, we just bought that a few months ago and I love the warm wood color. The bookcases as you can see have already started their transformation and are going white. I plan to add something fun to the back of them. I would love to add a round pedestal table to the middle of the room for our arts and crafts projects and family game time however I may need to use what we have already if I can't find a cheap one to refinish. I really think ours is too big for the space in addition to the desk but we'll see. The chairs we use now around the table are falling apart so I'd like to find some counter height stools to use instead. I think they'll be easier for the kids to use. I'm thinking a kelly green metal but am not dismissing a tangerine orange either. The computer chair really needs to be changed out also. Hubby hates the current one, so I'm thinking an upholstered parsons/slip chair will work best. I can't decide if I want a linen or leather. Leather may be winning out a bit because it's easier to clean... The light/fan above the table needs addressing too so I'll give it a little face-lift that is easily removable when we move. Curtains need to be added to every room in our home. I have some oatmeal linen curtains I'll probably use in here and add a bit of trim to help spruce them up a bit. On the large wall across from the window, I'm not sure if I want to have the boys paint some large canvases, or have large black and white canvases made of each of their photos.

office/ craft room plan

office/ craft room plan by winderandmain featuring black shades

So there you have it, my plan for the One Room Challenge. Check back every Thursday for an update on how it's going. Maybe you can help hold me to my plan! Either way anything will look better than where it is now, right??!!??

Go here to see the others participating!

-Meg



Comments

I love the first day of the ORC...you get to see all the real pictures of everyone's houses :) You respiration images are some of my favorites so I know your room is going to turn out fab!
LOOOOOVE your inspiration photos! Cannot wait to see how it all comes together!
Unknown said…
Your inspiration pictures are so amazing, I already clicked over to follow you on Pinterest. I hope to redo our office one day as well. But for my first time doing the ORC I took on a smaller space that really needs some help. I am so excited to see what you do with your office (and thanks for keeping it real with your pictures- helps us all to know that we're not the only ones with less-than-perfect houses. Good luck!
I am captivated by your inspiration choices! Love it already.
Alana in Canada said…
This will be fabulous!
Unknown said…
Meg, first hats off to you for being a mother of 4 boys! I struggle with just my 2 girls to get everything done. :) I love your inspiration board and inspiration photos! I would love to have a craft/office room and every year my plan changes a little. Looking forward to finishing my office and being able to work without clutter. :) Let's do this! Sarah, Sarah Sofia Productions

Popular Posts