le petit prince + silhouettes

Emily over at Jones Design Company had a week of tutorials last week and I loved them all, some of them I wish I had a little girl to create for, some I have seen and been wanting to do but waiting for an easy tutorial (which hers are), and some inspired me to be a copycat... like this one...




As I've mentioned before, I grew up a Disney baby. My dad worked for Disney World for over 23 years and my first job was at Disney's Blizzard Beach. When my sisters and I were younger we had our silhouettes done at the Magic Kingdom and I knew that when I finally had kids I would have theirs done at Disney too, to continue the tradition. Each of our boys has had theirs done on each of their's first trip to Disney (hint: if you do this kind of thing be prepared for all different sized silhouettes since they will each be done by different people, hence the size differences you will notice in a minute). I had the 2 oldest boys in a frame hanging together in our family room but when I had our youngest's done last week, I didn't have a third frame to put his in to hang all together so I had to think of something else.



A few days after our Disney trip I was at our Goodwill bookstore and happened to come across a french written copy of Le Petit Prince. I bought it not knowing what I would do with it but if you know me you know I'm all about anything French and I have my own 3 petit princes so I figured I would find something to use it for. This is where Emily's project comes in to play. I loved the look of all the book pages decoupaged together and the whimsy yet elegance of it all. I figured maybe I could take the pages from Le Petit Prince, decoupage them onto some canvas, and then somehow center thier silhouettes in the middle, without actually attaching them to the piece so it wouldn't be permanent. I did what she said in her tutorial and wa la...



I love how they look!

I wanted the silhouettes to be "framed" but didn't want to use a frame but also loved they way they looked in a double mat. So I adhered them to a mat, attached a ribbon to the back of the mat and then to the back of the cavas frame so that the silhouette would hang in the center of the canvas... (and yes I used duct tape to tape down the pages on the back side, you would have never known if I hadn't shown you)...





I made sure each peice had the same amount of pictures on it so they looked evenly weighted hanging together and lucky for me there were 3 pages in the book that had the title written on the page, so each of my princes have the title Le Petit Prince in the background...







She put silhouettes of her little ones on top of some book page art as well.






I have these hanging in our entry way so they are the first things someone sees when they walk in... They look great with the way I've decorated our entry table for fall, but more on that later...



I used all the pages in the book to cover 3 16x20 canvases, they empty book cover I've framed and it will be going into the re-decorated nursery of mon petit prince...



~Megan



linked to:

<br />http://www.thethriftyhome.com

Comments

This is darling - I love the ribbon that it hangs from.

Popular Posts