grey, distressed, and read all over

I've been searching for a while now for a tray to put on our ottomon but just haven't found one that I really like or want to spend money on. Then one night in bed I remembered I had an old cabinet/menu board/calendar (not sure exactly what it used to be) in one of the closets that I picked up at a Goodwill over a year ago. I had always planned on making a chalkboard out of it for our kitchen but never got around to it and eventually forgot about it. I took it out of storage and checked to make sure it would be the perfect size and it was. Here's the before (kindof, I already had started painting and distressing by the time I realized I forgot to take a before picture...


And here it is after on our ottomon, it's painted the same yummy, creamy grey I painted the leather top table and then distressed. It's distressed a little more than I wanted but the paint wasn't sticking at all when I would go to sand a little of the edge, even though there was primer on it as well...

On the inside I decopauged pages from a french dictionary and an italian dictionary and then poly'd over it a few times to seal it good since I know drinks will be placed on it at some point...



I love it! And it's not the only thing I created with pages ripped out of a book this weekend. I'll be back with another project with book pages in the week...





Now I have to go and take pictures of my products for an upcoming craft fair, but clean up a huge mess first in order to even step foot into the room...If you don't hear from me for a while, it's probably because I got lost in the mess!





~Megan

linked to:

Keeping It Simple



 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/



 http://www.thethriftyhome.com



Funky Junk's Saturday Nite Special

Comments

RedBettySummer said…
Great idea. The dictionary pages look great. Thanks for sharing about this cool project. It looks fantastic in your room.
this is so wonderful!! i want one :)
Ramona said…
Good Morning ~

This is wonderfully, wonderful...nice job!

Smiles ~ Ramona
Really cute!
I like the end results.
Ohhh, I love it! What a super cute idea! I'm becoming a follower, stop on over for a visit sometime!!

Cara
Really cute! You're so creative too!
Megan Gunyan said…
Very cool. Love the chippy paint. I love using book pages for things. Great job!
So cool and creative. I love using book pages, too, also sheets of music. Can't beat them for cheap and they look great.
I love the idea of using the Italian dictionary pages. I have one around here some where. I should put it to good use! Your tray is really cute.
Heaven's Walk said…
Hi Megan! Happy Met Monday! Great job on that adorable tray! You distressed it so perfectly! And I adore the idea of placing pages beneath the glass. So pretty! What color gray did you use?

xoxo laurie@heavens-walk
EnchantedBella said…
That is a great tray! I love it and it's distressed just enough for my tastes.

Rebecca
Beca said…
Your project turned out very nice. Your very creative!
Jeralee said…
Over here from Coastal Charm. I like that you used pages out of foreign language dictionaries. What a great idea and so cheap! Seems like you can find those for next to nothing at thrift stores these days.
Unknown said…
The distressing adds that special touch, although I love the dictionary page thing. Great idea!

I included your project in my Tray Love post today. Thanks for the inspiration!
René said…
It looks great. Very clever.

-Rene
Way to use what you had on hand... LOVE the gray distressed job. I'm putting your tray in the PoPP Spotlight on Saturday... thank you for sharing it with us!
Lori said…
I used the same tray to make a chalkboard in my kitchen. Mine was the perfect shade of red when I found it at GW for 1.49. Check out my project from this month. It makes a wonderful tray too. I noticed the shape first, then that slot on the back top. Saw you at POP with Maryann
Megan,
Your THRIFTY tray looks outstanding...love the idea that you had here! Hop over and enter my GIVEAWAY...I think you will like it!

Blessings,
Linda
Anonymous said…
Love it! What a clever idea. Those things are everywhere, and I never would have thought of doing that. It's looks great.
Amy Kinser said…
It looks great. I love book pages and old sheet music projects.

Partying with you at Donna's.
Erikita said…
cool tray...I can't believe we combined the EXACT same same plant and pot for our homes...how funny! You got yours at IKEA huh?
Cool - will you make me one? J/K

Popular Posts