From a roadside dump to a polished treasure

As I was driving out of my neighborhood one day I spotted this cute little table on the side of the road destyned for the garbage truck who was due to arrive at any moment. I was in a hurry so was unable to grab it just then, plus I had never taken something out of someone's trash before so was a little unsure if I really wanted to grab it.


I called my husband to see if he would come home for lunch and get it but he laughed and said no. A friend was coming over so our kids could swim together so I decided to wait for her to get there and then we could all pile into our van and go grab it. Luckily the garbage men had not come yet, it was still there, and she was up for an adventure.

The top had definitely seen better days as the whole thing was peeling apart.


The base was a gorgeous shape but looked like it was cracking in some areas.

Another shot of how bad the top was...


I decided to go out of my comfort zone of all neutral and paint it with some leftover paint from our oldest's old bedroom, an aqua blue color. Then I sanded some off to distress it and finally rubbed a walnut stain over the entire thing...
I love how it came out! Right now we have it acting like an entry table when you first walk in, but the lighting is not great for pictures in that area...

Here is a closeup of the leg detail. I love how the distressing made the before color show some. In person it looks almost like a tourquoise stone...

I ended up having to replace the entire top because of how damaged the original one was. I bought an unfinished table top from Lowes to fix that problem...


To me she looks like a Pheobe. I love how she came out and so glad I picked her up and went with a color I normally don't do for furniture. I'm hoping to use it as a side table next to our daybed once that room is the guestroom and not our nursery.


~Megan


I'm linking to:



Visit thecsiproject.com

 http://linda-coastalcharm.blogspot.com/





Shabby Nest- Frugal Friday

Comments

Maria said…
Very pretty. What a nice color of blue. Soon after we moved in we were looking for a door for our pantry and I found a hot pink one in our neighbors dumpster. We trimmed it and painted it white. It pays to be observant! I am glad you saved this beauty. I didn't know you could buy tabletops. Are they expensive?
I like the color very much! I'm always amazed at how much stain changes a color (richens it, I think).
ArtfullyJune said…
Love the color. Looks like a great table. For the cost of paint and a new top I don't think you could get a better table.
Megan said…
Maria, Thank you so much. I think the table top was $16 if I remember right. It was somewhere around that price. The size I got is 24". They come in a few sizes.
Debbiedoos said…
Unbelievable treasure! I love the color too. Debbie
Very pretty and clever redo! I have a square table I'm planning to use the same color on, hope it looks half as good as your free find. Love the vintage worn look!
Jane said…
Great job! I probably would have given up when the top was damaged. Great to learn that they sell tops at Lowes. Always learn something new with these challenges.
Great makeover!! I love that table in aqua. It makes sense with the fun and whimsical shape. I like it distressed too! I snuck a peek at your Etsy shop--cute stuff!! :) Visiting from The CSI Project today. :)
Laney said…
What an amazing transformation! I love the blue, it was such a great color choice.

I see that you have 3 boys, so do I. They keep it interesting, don't they? :-D
Anonymous said…
Really, really nice job. love the color, and especially the original showing through!
Love that table! The color is perfect!
so much character in that little table! magnificent job on transforming it :)
oops! said…
I love how you picked up some ones garbage, because I have done the same thing - and felt nervous! It really is cute, and all the better because you rescued it!
I've occasionally "picked" off the curb and I've purposely left stuff out for others to take (works every time!) - I think it's a great way to keep things out of the landfill! I absolutely LOVE the color and finish you gave this - very, very nice!
Chrissie said…
I love the table. Good for you stepping out of your comfort zone!
Cristie said…
Way out of my comfort zone too! But I must say your table looks really great!

Popular Posts